Does that mean if your truck or van is 9’5″ (9 feet, 5 inches), you could drive underneath?
It depends how confident you are in the two measurements. Are you sure the clearance is exactly 9’6″? Are you sure your truck is exactly 9’5″?
Sources of error or imprecision:
- What if the tires weren’t as inflated when you measured, and then you filled them up with air?
- What if the person measuring made a mistake?
- What if the tape measure was a little bent?
- What if they didn’t get to the very top of the truck, like an antenna or exhaust pipe sticks out or something?
- What if there’s ice on the road, so your truck sits a few inches higher?
- What if they’ve paved the parking lot since they made the sign, so now the road is higher?
- What if whatever is overhead is curved, and the 9’6″ is the highest part?
- What if it was really almost 9’6″, so they just went to the next closest number to make it even, but it’s really a little under. And what if the truck is really a little over 9’5″, but they went to the next closest number to make it even too?